- Trucking Advocacy
- Attend Events
- News & Resources
|Share the Road|
Share the Road
Share the Road is a highway safety program of the Minnesota Trucking Association. For the past several years, the Share the Road program has been teaching high school students how to share the road with large trucks. The program’s goal is to reach as many high school students as possible and change driving behavior so that we can save lives.
The Minnesota Trucking Association is looking to partner with your high school to provide hands-on safety demonstrations for your students. Professional truck drivers deliver specific life-saving safety tips to your students by having cars and trucks set up in simulated highway lanes to show the common ways in which accidents happen out on the road.
• Never cut in front of a large truck. Fully loaded commercial trucks weigh up to 80,000 pounds and take the length of a football field to stop. Most cars weigh only 2,000 pounds.
• Do not linger alongside a commercial truck. There are four major blind spots around commercial trucks where cars disappear from view and the driver cannot see you.
• Pass quickly to resume visibility and change lanes only when you can see both of the truck's headlights in your rearview mirror. Never pass on the right side of a commercial truck because the right side blind spot runs the length of the trailer and extends out three lanes.
• Stay away from the front and rear blind spots. You must leave 20-25 car lengths between your car and the back of the trailer and 4 car lengths between the front of the commercial truck and the back of your car.
• If you are following a commercial truck and you cannot see the driver's face in the truck's side mirrors, the truck driver cannot see you.
• Allow commercial trucks adequate space to maneuver because they make wide turns at intersections and require additional space.
The Minnesota Trucking Association is looking for member companies who are committed to training high school students in safe driving around commercial trucks to partner with their local high school through our Share the Road program. To learn more about our Share the Road program please contact us.
Share the Road brochure available here.