State Policy Positions
- Support balancing the state budget through spending cuts rather than tax and fee increases.
- Oppose increases in truck-related taxes and fees for the general fund.
- Support aligning Minnesota’s mandatory vehicle inspection requirements with federal vehicle inspection requirements conducted by qualified inspectors.
- Support eliminating laws and regulations that put the Minnesota trucking industry at a competitive disadvantage.
- Support state initiatives for truck driver and technician training.
- Support state grants for students entering truck driver and technician training.
- Support tax incentives to help companies train entry level and returning truck drivers and technicians.
- Support energy policies that encourage national uniformity in diesel formulation.
- Support the development and use of natural gas as a truck fuel.
- Support tax incentives to encourage the use of optional emission-reduction technologies.
- Support national emission standards that are based on scientific evidence.
- Support increasing the number of parking spaces available for commercial trucks.
- Support allowing commercial trucks to operate in all general purpose lanes.
- Oppose different speed limits for cars and trucks.
- Support continued development of optional, efficient and safe driver-assist technology.
- Support limiting cell phones to hands-free only use while in a vehicle.
- Oppose authorizing recreational use of marijuana.
- Support the existing statutory definition for independent contractors in the trucking industry.
- Support aligning state prevailing wage statutes with the federal prevailing wage statutes.
- Support the state pre-emption of local labor and employment laws to allow uniformity and competitive balance across the state.
- Oppose efforts to mandate specific methods of pay to drivers.
- Support labor and employment rules and policies that support the rights of both employers and employees.
- Support exempting the off-highway diesel fuel credit from an equivalent use tax.
- Support eliminating the small business pass-through income tax rate of 9.85 percent.
- Support reducing Minnesota’s statute of limitations from 6 to 4 years.
- Support repealing the seatbelt gag rule.
- Support defining a tractor and trailer as a single motor vehicle for liability purposes.
- Support increased funding to maintain and expand Minnesota's roads and bridges by dedicating general funds, maximizing bonding, and if necessary increasing the fuel tax.
- Oppose alternative transportation funding mechanisms like tolls on existing general purpose lanes, mileage-based user fees, roadway and bridge privatization, wheelage taxes, street utility fees, and a gross receipts tax.
- Support the constitutional dedication of any tax on transportation fuels to the state highway fund.
Vehicle Size and Weight
- Support maintaining the maximum 53 foot trailer length.
- Support gross vehicle weight increases to offset the added weight of emissions reduction and alternative fuel technology.
- Support moving the artificial gross vehicle weight cap (80,000 lbs) to a gross axle weight regulation that maximizes the bridge formula and preserves infrastructure.